how louvre-ly it was!

Ah the Louvre, thousands of masterpieces housed in a masterpiece. 

The Louvre was originally a fortress built by Philip II and was only turned into a museum in 1793. 



We only spent about an hour viewing some of the most famous works of art, which wasn't long enough by any means,  but I'll share a little of what we learned on our tour!

We started out with Ancient Egyptian artwork with this sculpture of a Sphinx.  



We looked at a lot of Greek sculptures. Did you know the majority of these statues were originally painted? I've always imagined them as being white, but they were surprisingly colorful when they were first created! 


Can you guess who these sculptures are of?



The most well-known statue we saw was the Venus de Milo. The statue is not made of one, but at least two separate carved pieces. That's demonstrated by the visible line near her robe. Hard to see here, but you can take my word for it!



(on the left is La Victoire de Samothrace)




As Madame always says, "Look up!" The ceilings are almost always ornate and beautiful. 







We got to see the Mona Lisa and I have to tell you, I fought a lot of tourists to get this picture. 



Even after the tour, I'm not actually sure how the fame for Mona Lisa began. But everyone wanted to take a selfie with her! 

We finished our tour with these paintings! You probably recognize at least one of them!


I took a picture of this one because it reminded me of me and my mom! 



How truly LOUVRE-ly it was.


Au revoir, 
Madeleine

Madeleine B

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! You're a sweetie! I'm going to be looking out for a copy of that one you know!
    Je t'aime beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete